Sunday, 09 September 2007

Beckenbauer gives Cape Town a thumbs up








































Franz Beckenbauer, the president of the 2006 World Cup's steering committee, visited the Green Point stadium site this week and is said to be "very, very impressed" with the progress made. "The location of the Green Point stadium, underneath Table Mountain and with a view of Robben Island where Nelson Mandela spent 18 years in prison was "stunning", according to the former Germany player and coach nicknamed The Kaiser. We think so to.

New Greenpoint Football stadium
Originally uploaded by CapeTownFootball2010



1 comment:

Michael Orr said...

Thanks for the comments on The AD Hall, I appreciate the information. I guess when I said that South Africa would be similar to Greece, I didn't mean that the stadia wouldn't be done until the last minute. Rather I meant that despite outside voices saying otherwise, everything would definitely be done on time.

I guess unlike the Olympics though, transport has to be the biggest issue, since everything isn't happening within a general radius. Is there a general feeling within the country that infrastructure and transport will be sufficient by the time of the Cup?

Thanks again, we don't get too many comments. Can I ask how you came across the site?

Cheers